Skip to main content

Can I sue my previous college for defamation?

Tampa, FL |

Basically I and three other students were dismissed from school over a few students saying we harassed them and damaged there bikes. With no concrete evidence basically it was our word vs theres and I didn't even get a fair chance to defend myself. Then talking to the Vice president of student affairs she said the way the school handles things is what she thinks "likely" happened so I had no shot and it seems like students can just get kicked out without being able to defend themselves. Also the was around finals so a week ago, and I thought it was innocent until proving guilty. Then I got the president of the school involved and still nothing just want to know what I can do with this situation.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


No, there is no lawsuit for defamation or anything else. A school is not a court of law, and therefore, the rules of evidence do not apply. The school can consider and rely on hearsay and circumstantial evidence. This is not a criminal trial, and being innocent until proven guilty has no application here.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.


It is error to say that there was "no evidence except" for a complaining person's testimony. Testimony is evidence. Where testimony is believed, it is sufficient evidence to prove the fact that it establishes.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.