Skip to main content

Can I sue my old roommate for past rent in hopes of getting a judgement/debt off my credit report?

Lexington, KY |

A few years ago in Boston I got evicted because my roommate lost job and failed to pay his rent. Recently checked my credit score and the judgement and apartment debt is still listed for $20,000. he said he would take care of it. Can I sue my old roommate in small claims and use that judgement to prove it wasnt my fault and to remove the old debt/judegment? Old roommate now leaves in Rhode Island and has a job again. I leave in KY now.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Assuming there was a legal basis to evict "you" (e.g. you were on the lease) then one thing has nothing to do with the other. Even if you won the suit against your roommate, you were still evicted from an apartment. If you can get the judgment paid, then you at least should get a satisfaction of judgment entry on your credit report, but it won't "remove" the entry.


Suing your roommate will not assist in getting a judgment or debt off of your credit report.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.


Plain and simple this will not take it off your report. Fileing a dispute with the three agencies asking them to remove is the only way, if there was no reason for same.

The previous information is solely for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please contact an attorney in your area for more specific answers. Responding to your question in no way creates an attorney/client relationship, and none of the specific guarantees of privacy exist. If you have found this information helpful, kindly check the "helpful" box.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer