Skip to main content

Can i sue my landlord for my property being damage by another tenant who I reported to them

Washington, DC |

i report this same tenant more then 20 times over two years about there living condition which effect the way I live from the tenant putting trash in the hall her loud music and partying to the police coming and just resent my child' walker was on the balcony and the tenant poured something off her balcony that got over my child's walker i reported it and showed them pics they told me they were taking her to court already for eviction but they don't have a date so i told them they should pay for another one cause i been told them what she was doing and they still don't have a court date the lady ask me where did i get i told her Walmart and she have the photo of it then she call me back 3 days later and say sorry you have to go after the tenant because they can't pay a $100 for a walker

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If $100 is your claim, you may not want to take on this battle. If you need a new walker, maybe a local church or charity can help.


Dear Washington, D.C. Tenant:

I am an attorney licensed to practice law in New York. I do not practice law in the District of Columbia.

You may or may not have a claim for the $100 value of the walker and so you could try to resolve this matter in Small Claims Court.

You should also look to your lease and to the rules and regulations to see if there is any disclaimer by the landlord of liability for loss to a tenant's personal property unless the loss was caused by the gross negligence of the landlord, and if there is a prohibition on placing items of personal property on the balconies. You should also look to see if the lease required that you have your own insurance to protect your possessions in case of loss.

Your real claim is against the tenant who injured and damaged your daughter's walker because she is the person who performed the act of pouring something over the balcony.

So if you sue in Small Claims Court for the $100 you may think of including the one responsible for your loss as well.

Good luck.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.