Skip to main content

Can i sue my Landlord for being sick from Mold in my Apartment?

Piscataway, NJ |

I have a lung disease. I have been sick since Jan 2013, me and doctor couldn't understand why i was being so sick. Found out there was mold in the apartment. Landlord didn't do anything to resolve the mold problem. I was let out of the lease, that was it. I did call an Environmental Company to come out and check, I paid to have mold kit tested. Now that I'm in my new apartment I'm still sick. My doctor said the spores are in my property.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

Have a local lawyer in your city investigate


What did the Enviromental Company find, take those results to an Attorney

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced 39+ yrs. I can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practicein Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. I give only appointments over the phone., these services do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ and I would appreciate it if you feel like marking my answers helpful or best. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are court documents , less expensive.


I agree with my colleague. Take the results from the testing to an experienced personal injury attorney asap. Many lawyers, such as myself, offer free 30 minute consultations. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


I agree with my colleagues - you should speak with a personal injury attorney at your earliest opportunity to discuss the situation in detail. You may have a cause of action for lung disease, as well as remediation of any mold in your current property brought over in furnishings from the previous apartment (if any), among other potential damages.

The foregoing is not legal advice, and nothing in the foregoing shall be deemed to create an attorney client relationship. If you feel you need to speak with an attorney regarding your issue, it is recommended that you contact an attorney with expertise in your area of inquiry. The information related above is purely for informational purposes, and should not be acted upon without speaking with qualified counsel familiar with you specific situation and the laws related thereto.


Mold exposure cases are extremely challenging scientifically. It would be important to know from what injury you are suffering. You can give my office a call to discuss.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer