Skip to main content

Can i sue my land lord

Bronx, NY |

i was into a lease for 1 year in NYC which is yet to be finished by this june 2013. last week there was a break in into my apartment from the fire escape and the thieves went away from the main door carrying TV and i lost all together worth of $25000. none of my apartment windows were closing with the latches when we moved in and to till date. no security cameras were working and the super entrance which usually opens onto street is not locked 24hrs and there is no lock on the gate. can i get the compensation from landlord for not providing me a safe, secure apartment and which easily accesible to the burglars due to the security failure reason

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can sue. However, unlikely to win for an intervening criminal action. Also, did you have renter's insurance? Consult with a local landlord tenant lawyer. Good luck.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


Your ability to sue the landlord for the loss resulting from the burglary depends on the terms of your lease and whether or not you can prove that you or some other person notified the landlord of the broken latches and other security issues in the building.

You should call the New York City Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service to get he names of some attorneys who can evaluate whether or not you have a viable case.


Dear tenant:

You may sue the landlord for the amount of your loss after deducting any recovery from your renter's insurance coverage.

In Small Claims Court you would need proof of your notification to the landlord of the defective conditions of the locks on the windows. If you did not notify the landlord about the defective window locks there may be a report of a violation for the defect if the apartment had been inspected by the NYC Office of Code Enforcement.

You could check here to determine if there are existing violations in the building for the windows and security camera, lock on the gate and the open super entrance at:

Look for the menu item for "Complaints, Violation & Registration Information"

Check how to start a Small Claims Court case at:

Good luck.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer