Skip to main content

Can i sue my husband for not following marriage vows

Eugene, OR |

Husband lied about drinking problem before marriage , become disabled during marriage , husband refuses to pay heal Th CARE , PROVIDE RIDE TO DOCTORS .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can sue him for divorce, to be sure. Oregon allows no-fault divorces - you don't need any particular reason to get divorced. Just saying that you want to is enough. The Courts have recognized that it's not in anyone's interests for judges to be the arbiters of which spouse was behaving more badly to the other.

By the same logic, a spouse's bad behavior during a marriage does not entitle the other spouse to money. Spousal support is based upon each partner's needs and contributions, not their prior conduct. Specifically, there are three types of spousal support that can be ordered under Oregon law:

Transitional support: This is ordered on a temporary basis, to allow a spouse who has been supported by the other to find work and become self-sufficient.

Compensatory support: This is ordered on behalf of a spouse who made a significant contribution to the other spouse's earning capacity, typically by helping them pay for school or otherwise advance in their profession. The spouse who was assisted in this way may be asked to compensate the spouse who made sacrifices to help them.

Spousal maintenance: This is ordered for a person who has spent so long supported by their spouse, they are incapable of supporting themselves and divorcing any other way. It is typically ordered only in marriages that have lasted many years.

Spousal support is never automatic, and is ordered at the discretion of the court. You should consult with an attorney if you want to know if spousal support will apply in your case.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:


Nope! Sorry your husband turned out to be someone other than who you thought you were marrying. Your only way out is a divorce. Consult with a Eugene divorce attorney. Good luck.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.


No. Your remedy is to file for divorce.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer