Skip to main content

Can I sue my husband?

Eustis, FL |

My husband and I are separated and I moved to Miami, then a year or so ago I moved back to Lake county to my old neighborhood and Iater being here and wanting to move to a larger place for me and our kids, I am being told I have oustanding balances in bills in the amount of $500.00 or more, so now I can't move because he (my husband) dragged my name through the mud, he promised to pay it off so I can move but has failed to do so, can I sue him for that money and have him ordered by the courts to pay those bills? We were together at the time and I let him put it in my name because he messed up his own name here in Lake County and our twin girls were 3 years old and I had no electric, gas, I'm on SSI
now, but at the time, I had no income, he was the one working, if not, what can I do??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

I'm sorry to hear you're having such challenges. Unfortunately, there is no good answer for you other than saying you should speak to a family lawyer.

That being said, your question of "Can I sue" is really "Should I sue". Anyone can sue anyone, but that doesn't mean there is actually a case or that the claim won't be dismissed.

Suing your soon-to-be-ex for $500.00 and "dragging your name through the mud" is not really a claim, particularly when you agreed to be a co-signer/co-debtor on whatever it is that he needed to pay.

Reach out and try to work this out with him. You may need a family lawyer for the bigger issue of the pending divorce, and perhaps the $500 could be addressed in that forum.

Good Luck,

DISCLAIMER: We do not have an attorney-client relationship. Only those persons who have a signed written fee agreement and authority to represent with me is an actual client. This response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than my educated opinion or viewpoint. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice from an attorney in your area.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III


good counsel.


File a an action for dissolution of marriage. Technically these bills are marital in nature and are divided 50-50. Allege in your Petition that the Court should depart from an equal split and consider a disparate distribution since your husband ran up these bills in your name wihtout your permission and after the separation. You must swear to the facts in the Petiiton . It would be a good idea to have a lawyer help you. If you are not going to do that at least read Florida Statute 61.075. You can find it on the Florida Senate website. Good Luck.

This answer was provided as a courtesy to you and no attempt was made to establish any type of attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer