Skip to main content

Can I sue my HOA for allowing a group home to operate across the street?

Indianapolis, IN |

Group home for violent mentally disturbed teens was erected across the street of our house in a community zoned for single family homes only as described in our HOA rules.Our property value has dramatically decreased over the years and have had these teens on our property and in our garage on many occasions.Police reports have been filed and complaints been sent to the Prosecutor's Office and also the private company that runs these group homes.We have a 5 year old daughter that lives with us,when will it be too late to do something about this???What happened to our daughter's rights to live free of fear???What happened to our rights as home owners???

Here's a link to our HOA:

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The HOA isn't who allowed the group home to operate there. The HOA is just the group of owners (including you) who share in ownership of your condominium complex. The home probably had to get a permit from the City. You should visit with the planning and zoning office to see if there is anything you can do.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer