Skip to main content

Can I sue my ex-boyfriend for emotional distress

Columbus, OH |

The guy I was dating agreed to pay for the termination of my pregnancy after I find out that he had a pregnant girlfriend , He agreed verbally and I also have text messages of him agreeing to make those arrangements , as from today I haven't heard anything from him , I'm suffering from stress due to this , and at the same time I ended up taking care of the bill myself ........ Do I have a case plz help ......

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Yes, for breach of the contract to pay for the abortion. Contracts can be oral, as well as "implied in fact" by the parties' conduct. If you had a contract for him to pay for your abortion and he breached, you can sue him for that - not for the emotional distress of having another pregnant girlfriend or being a jerk to you. You'll prove your case through your test messages and oral testimony, and his breach by showing your payment for the abortion, and tha'ts all you need.

He's getting off cheap --you could have chosen to keep the child and make his liable for child support payments for 18 years.

Maybe you won't have to sue him. Before doing that, send him a demand letter for amount they owe you by certified mail, return receipt requested, or by FedEx or by registered email ( That way they know you're serious and you'll be able to prove their receipt. Warn them that once you sue, the lawsuit becomes a matter of public record, and give them a firm deadline, 2 or 3 days from their receipt of your letter, to pay you or you'll have to sue them in Small Claims court. If they don't pay you by your deadline, follow through and sue.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.