Skip to main content

Can i sue my employer in new jersey?

Pennsauken, NJ |

I was in the company car in philadelphia and got rear ended while i was stop at a red light. Because of injuries i can no longer work severe back, neck and leg problems. The driver of the other car was on drugs or intoxicated the police said and took him away. His insurance only pays out a maximum of 100,000,00 which is low considering my injuries. Can i go and sue my employer because it happened on work hours?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Worker's compensation would pay for medical bills and missed wages if you were hurt while in the course of your employment. As a result, one typically cannot "sue" his employer. The $100,000 from the other vehicle may be the only place to go for pain and suffering. However, you may want to look at the coverages for the vehicle you were in or other personal vehicles you may own for additional coverage. This coverage is called underinsurance.

Steven A. Schwartz

One Washington Mall, 16th floor
Boston, MA 02108
(617) 742-1170
(800) 660-2270
(617) 250-2072 fax

The information provided is based solely on the question and facts presented. The information presented should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.


you may be eligible for coverage on the underinsured motorist statute as well as various other policies. Please call me at 201-370-6351 to discuss further.

Benjamin G. Kelsen IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER PLEASE INDICATE YOUR APPRECIATION BY SELECTING IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Law Offices of Benjamin G. Kelsen, Esq. LLC 179 Cedar Lane Teaneck, NJ 07666 Phone: 201-692-0073/ Fax: 201-692-0151 Web Site: / Email: NOT LEGAL ADVICE: The above information may contain an opinion which does not constitute legal advice. Unless a retainer agreement has been signed, we are not your legal representatives, and you should not rely on any opinions contained in this message.


I agree with my colleague that workers compensation is intended to provide coverage for work-related injuries. You should consult an attorney to get specific advice.

I have been licensed to practice in the State of Oregon since 1990. I am not offering legal advice regarding your question, only general information regarding the law. You are not my client nor am I your attorney unless we sign a retainer agreement.


Workers' compensation is one way to go. You may need to prove that you were working at the time. If you were in the company car and were not on the clock, it may be more difficult.

The comments by other counsel as to underinsured motor vehicle coverage are correct. ou chould consuld a lawyer on this one, though.

The responses to the questions on this site can be a useful guide to assisting you with your legal questions and at least give you an idea on things you should be thinking about. However, the response should not be considered legal advice. You should contact an attorney for that.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer