Skip to main content

Can i sue my employer for not reporting my income to irs

Detroit, MI |

can i sue my emp[oyer for not reporting my income to irs

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You are not likely to recover anything in a civil court for that. Your best bet would be to file a claim for reward with the IRS and report your employer's activity through that channel. Make sure you are accurately reporting your income before you take that step.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.


Taxpayers generally do not have the standing to sue other taxpayers on the basis that they are not reporting income to the IRS. However, each taxpayer has the obligation to make timely and accurate self-assessments as well as timely pay their taxes. If there is a mismatch between the income reported by an employer and the income reported by an employee, the IRS may select either or both taxpayers for examination in order to determine the true amount of tax owed by each party. If an individual does not receive a correct Form W-2 by February 15, call the IRS at (800) 829-1040. A representative can initiate a Form W-2 complaint with instructions to both the employer detailing penalties for non-compliance and instructions to the employee for Form 4852 if a corrected Form W-2 is not received in time for the employee's tax return filing.

Transmission of information through this website, e-mail, or other Internet communications is not intended to create nor does receipt constitute an attorney-client relationship. Any attorney-client relationship will only be formed through a client intake procedure where you sit down with me so that I can evaluate you, you can evaluate me, and the two of us can come to a written agreement as to representation and the expectations thereof.

Circular 230 Notice: In compliance with US Treasury Regulations, please be advised that any tax advice given herein (or in any attachment) was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another person any transaction or matter addressed herein.


You are required to report your income regardless of whether your employer reports it to the IRS. I don't see what you would sue your employer for in this case. You sue for damages and if you have reported your income you have no damages. Your employer reports your income on an information return. There are penalties if this is not done properly. You could report your employer to the IRS and let them handle it.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer