Can I sue my employer for not notifying me that they don't plan on good faith negotiations for renewal per my contract?

Woodmere, NY |

My contract says that my employer must notify me at any time during my 3 year contract term if they don't plan on engaging in good faith negotiations with me for renewal. I was made aware that behind my back, my employer has been in talks to assign my contract to another employer( through my contract's assignment clause) without notifying me. Can I sue them for breach of contract for not informing me of their plans to not notify me of their plans to not engage in good faith negotiations for renewal as the contract says they are required to do?

You can sue if you want but what are your damages that you seek?

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.

If there is still time under the contract, then they could still negotiate. Also, what are your damages if they do not renew?

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

Actually the way they informed me was termination without cause with my contractually required days of notice with an option to sign with the company taking over(which I will not do).

If you never had an employment attorney review the contract before you signed, you should have it reviewed now and discuss your options with the lawyer. All legal documents should be shown to a lawyer before you sign it.