Skip to main content

Can I sue my current guardian for negligence, or malpractice for failing to file a slander suit against my former guardian?

New York, NY |

As soon as I read the slanderous statements my former guardian told my hospital doctors about me , I told my guardian within the statute of limitations . My guardian had refused to take any legal action until recently , but the 1 year statute of limitations has expired to file a lawsuit against my former guardian . The slander endangers my future medical care because it lists known risk factors for a mental illness I was diagnosed with in the hospital and which my doctor says I do not have and recommends ending the guardianship . I was an adult during both guardianships without access to my funds to independently file a law suit .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Please refer to the previous answers elsewhere on this post.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.


This has been asked and answered


This is a prior question which was responded to.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


Asked and answered.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


I do not believe that you will have a successful claim because the underlying claim for slander against your former guardian would likely fail. Your guardian has a qualified immunity to speak to your doctors and to voice concerns and opinions about you and your mental status. In addition you will need to prove an actual damage an it does not sound that you have sustained one. There was a reason you have had two guardians appointed for you am if the court appointed then then your potential claim sounds very tenuous.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer