Skip to main content

Can I sue landlord for pain & suffering? My next door neighbor was murdered yesterday. The police found the 2 men responsible.

Allentown, PA |

It was found out that the men killed my neighbor to steal his drugs. A month ago this slained neighbor had his balcony doors broken and the apt had been robbed & vandalized. I asked my neighbor if he called the police, he said he no. Also, the maintance man told me that it is not the managements responsibilty to call the police & how they didnt call the insurance company either bc its such a nuisance. I went to the off today to let them know I would not renew lease

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

You should move if you can, it would help you deal with this and feel better.


You may be able to sue for breach of contract pertaining to the rental lease. You most likely do not have a case for pain and suffering.

I recommend you consult with a local attorney in person.

Good luck.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.



My lease expires March 30th. I simply informed management that I would not renew my lease. I feel the lanlord was negligent when it came to the safety of other tenants.


Sadly no. Even though you clearly suffered over this incident, PA law does not allow you a claim for pain and suffering. This is primarily because you are not a relative of the decedent and did not witness the death. I am sorry for your emotional torment. Good luck!

Legal disclaimer: The statement above provided by Sandra Worthington, Esq. is general information and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by Sandra Worthington, Esq. and Worthington Law Group does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state or under Federal law.


Not in PA.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755



Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer