Skip to main content

Can I sue for slip and fall?

Bronx, NY |

Today on my way to the train station, I slipped on ice in front of a house and hurt my wrist. It feels like a sprain but I'm going to go to the doctor tomorrow to have it checked. Can I sue for the slip and medical bills or would it be considered too minor?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


You could sue, however, whether the amount you recover would make the action worthwhile is another question.

Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.


You can sue. The question becomes if it is worth the time effort and expense. With a sprained wrist I would say no. Best of luck.

Ryan Finn * 518.213.0115 * * Referrals are the highest form of compliment * Hacker Murphy serves clients throughout New York State and always pays referring attorneys a reasonable referral fee in contingency cases


Go to the doctor now. Report the incident to the local precinct. Have someone take photos. Contact witnesses. That's for starters.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


The extent of your injury will determine whether its worthwhile to pursue. If you haven't done so, take pictures immediately before the condition changes. Then, consult with a lawyer.

New York Plaintiff's Personal Injury Attorney Serving NYC, Long Island, Westchester and the surrounding areas. The information provided herein is not, and is not intended to be, legal advice. The content herein is for information and educational purposes only, and is based on the limited information provided. Any information provided is not intended to, and does not, create any attorney/client relationship where none exists. For legal advice, please consult with an attorney. While this posting is made for informational purposes only for the AVVO community, to the extent one seeks to contact me based on the content herein, or that this may be viewed by some to be attorney advertising, please be advised of the following: *Attorney Advertising


Important to know too whether this is private property or city property. There are short notice periods for municipalities


You may and should sue!


Let me preface this by saying that I handle slip and fall accident cases in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area. You would be able to get more specific information from a New York attorney. Let me give you some general information from a Philadelphia slip and fall accident perspective.
1. Just because you slipped and fell on ice doesn't mean the homeowner is responsible. You would have to give more facts to a lawyer who is experienced in slip and fall accidents. For instance, if it was still raining or snowing or some combination thereof at the time you fell OR perhaps a few hours before you fell, the homeowner may not be responsible.
2. You didn't say whether you had insurance to pay for your medical bills. If you don't, you might be able to get your medical bills paid without actually "suing". In this area, most homeowner's insurance policies have medical coverage included in them. Basically, the homeowner's insurance will pay medical bills, up to the amount of the coverage, for anyone who was injured on the homeowner's property. It doesn't matter if the homeowner was at fault or not. Of course you would need to contact the homeowner for their insurance information.
3. Hopefully you got pictures of what caused you to fall. However, even if you didn't, did some current pictures. Go to the doctor or hospital, so that you can put your injuries and the cause of your injuries, "on record". Contact a local lawyer. Most slip and fall lawyers in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area work on a contingency basis. That means the initial consultation is free and if they accept the case, they will only charge you a percentage of the recovery, if they win the case. They will also usually advance the costs of the case. If they do not win, you do not have to pay a fee. I would suggest you identify a local lawyer on this forum and contact him/her ASAP


Get proper medical attention and perhaps an MRI. Luckily, several of the lawyers in your state above have offered to help, so best bet is to give one of them a call. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


In New York City, the owners of buildings are responsible for the removal of snow and ice on the sidewalks adjacent to their property. To make these walkways safe for pedestrians, building owners must take precautions such as shoveling snow, chipping away ice, and laying down gravel and salt when necessary.
Weather conditions in New York City can make walking on sidewalks, crosswalks, parking lots and other areas a dangerous activity. It is the responsibility of the property owners to keep their walkways free of hazardous snow and ice. When they fail to do so, it can result in serious, life-changing injuries.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer