Skip to main content

Can I sue for pain and suffering medical bills if at work delivering mail fell down broken steps

Poughkeepsie, NY |

I delivered to a house as I was coming down the whole wooden step came out and I stumble down aim pregnant to rush to hospital aim ok and the baby too no broken bones out of work for 5 days only could be on Tylenol so have to stuffer .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


As long as you are not suing your employer. It sounds like your case might need an engineer to inspect the does not sound like your injury is sufficient to warrant the costs and time that goes into a law suit. Speak with a local personal injury lawyer asap.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


If your job is as a delivery person, it appears that you have a worker's compensation claim rather than a personal injury claim. Call a worker's compensation lawyer, they usually have free consultations.

And do it FAST since there are usually limitations on how long you have to report an injury (like ONE WEEK).

Clark County, Nevada practitioner.


If there was a defective condition on the stair that led to your fall, then you may be able to prove that the owner of the building is responsible for what happened to you. However unless you have some type of permanent or lasting injury it may not be worth pursuing a case.

You should consult with a local personal injury attorney so that the steps can be inspected before they are changed. Good luck.

The aforementioned opinion does not constitute legal advice and is for general educational purposes only. See an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction for competent legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through the within legal question and answer session.


It sounds like you have a claim. You probably have a workers comp claim if you were working at the time of the accident. You may have a negligence suit against the owner/occupier of the house too. Seek an attorney to discuss your case in detail. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


You may have a 3rd party claim against the owner, but without injury, it might not be worth the hassle, but contact one of the above lawyers in your state to investigate if you did sustain injury.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer