Skip to main content

Can I sue for pain and suffering? I just got in a car accident , while at a stop I was hit at least 40mph from the back.

Berkeley, CA |

I was on my way onto a freeway when i got hit by a SUV who I guess was speeding pass cars and crashed into me at least 40mph, pretty much damaging the entire back side of my car, and today my neck, back, and leg is sore and painful I was wondering if they was any way I can get compensated for an accident that was not my fault. I have insurance and valid license. The other person also.

P.s I was stopped on traffic on my way onto the freeway. The police came and I received a report number

+ Read More

Attorney answers 12


Report this accident to your insurance company ASAP. If its the other driver's fault, which it seems like it is, his/her insurance should cover your damages. If you are injured, seek medical attention and an experienced personal injury attorney in your area ASAP. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


Short answer: yes. You should hire, or at least consult with, a personal injury attorney such as myself. In the meantime, get treatment for your injuries and keep copies of all paperwork. Good luck!

Legal disclaimer: PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMMENT, EMAIL ME OR PHONE ME. I'm only licensed in CA. This answer doesn't make me your lawyer, and neither do follow-up comments and/or emails and/or phone calls, and you shouldn't expect me to respond to your further questions if you haven't hired me. We need an actual agreement confirmed in writing before any attorney-client relationship is formed. This answer doesn't constitute legal advice, and shouldn't be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.


Yes. You may receive compensation for your damages, including medical expenses, pain and suffering, out of pocket expenses, loss of wages, property damage, loss of use of your vehicle and more. However don't handle your case by yourself. Hire a personal injury lawyer who will obtain maximum compensation for your damages. Most personal injury lawyers and my firm handle cases like this on contingency, i.e, no charge for fees unless there is recovery. Please feel free to contact my office for a free consultation. We handle cases throughout California.

Jasmine Gevorkyan
818-497-8565 direct

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.


Short answer is yes: I am sure there are many attorneys who are going to tell you that you have a good case. The main thing right now is to get good medical care: hopefully you have medical insurance or medical payments coverage on your own auto policy, either of which you can use to get good treatment.


A rear-end accident where you suffered serious injuries; you absolutely should get compensated. Your damages can include medical care, property loss, pain and suffering, and past and future wages lost. Based on the facts you listed here, it's definitely in your best interest to contact myself or another California personal injury attorney on Avvo to start working for you right away. We handle cases on contingency, so you don't pay anything unless we get you money. You can seek medical treatment while we handle all the negotiations to pursue the maximum settlement amount on your behalf.

The information provided here is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. Bergener & Associates, PLC is a personal injury practice serving accident victims and their families in the State of California only. No individuals should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any answers to questions without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice from an attorney licensed in their state. Transmission of information via this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between any attorney at Bergener & Associates and any recipient, nor is it intended to do so. The content provided does not create any warranty, express or implied. Hiring a lawyer to represent you is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertising.


Yes. You should seek medical care for your injuries. You should consult an attorney. You should NOT give any statements to the insurance company without an attorney or your behalf. You should also NOT give the insurance company authorizations to obtain your medical records and bills. Your medical records and bills should be submitted to the insurance company by you or your attorney.

Marc Lazarus


You definitely can! However in order to get a good dollar amount for pain and suffering you have to have a strategy to properly show the insurance company why you deserve the pain and suffering dollar amount that you are demanding. They don't just write checks like they used to! I've handled many cases against insurance companies and wouldn't mind speaking to you about it.

View my website & call for a FREE consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


You would want to retain a local personal injury lawyer to investigate a claim.


Get a copy of the police report. Make sure you see your doctor to see what is causing your pain and suffering. If it does not resolve itself you may need to have x-rays or an MRI to determine what the nature of the problem is. Keep notes and records of how these injuries are affecting your daily lilfe. You really need to handle the claim through a
law firm and let them deal exclusively with the insurance carrier. Insurance employees are highly trained to pay little or nothing on claims. The experienced personal injury attorneys will be able to figure out the true value of your case when you are permanent and stationary.

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.


Yes.You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on

Legal disclaimer

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


When someone is injured in a motor vehicle accident (especially a "rear ender" which means liability is pretty much a given... And it is not the one who gets rear ended), he or she should get immediate medical attention. Then, hire a personal injury attorney. If the accident was not a rear ender, the attorney will advise on fault and liability.

When someone is injured, he or she should only be concerned with getting better, attending doctor visits, attending physical therapy, etc. The lawyer will handle the rest... Figuring out who to sue, whether insurance covers the accident, whose insurance should cover, etc.

Fortunately, most of us personal injury types offer free consultations and take such cases on contingency, so there is nothing to fear in calling us.

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206
Corona, CA 92879
(951)520-9684 /

"When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.
** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D. ... Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker... Fransen & Molinaro, LLP... 980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206... Corona, CA 92879... (951)520-9684... / "When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW." ... * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy... ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.


It sounds like the accident was not your fault. You are then entitled to money damages for the negligent act of the other driver. Their insurance or your uninsured motorist coverage should pay for your damages.

You need to get medical care to document your injuries and get them taken care of. In most instances the amount of your medical expenses dictates the amount of pain and suffering. Exceptions might be broken bones which are cheap to fix but have much more pain and suffering.

Make sure that you get an attorney who only handles personal injury claims. Too many attorneys try to handle too many types of cases. Stick with someone who specializes in personal injury.

You need to also find an attorney who offers you a discounted attorney fee if the attorney can settle the case without having to file a lawsuit. As an example, our firm charges a 29% fee for cases that don't require a lawsuit. This discounted fee puts more money in your pocket.

You should also look for an attorney with years of experience handling personal injury and car accident claims. Look at web sites for more information than you can get from a 30 second television advertisement.

My Blog (see below) has a great article i wrote about "Pain and Suffering" and another one on "why attorneys should only charge a 29% fee". You might find it useful to read before you hire an attorney. Good luck.

The AVVO response or other communication by Caruso Law Offices does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please call us at 505-883-5000 for a FREE CONSULTATION with an attorney. We look forward to discussing your case in more detail.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer