Skip to main content

Can I sue for being wrongfully arrested and imprisoned?

Smethport, PA |

I was arrested for breaking and entering a building and stealing precious metals. The law put me in a county jail for over a month and then after finding the real person who committed the crime they released me of all charges. I also lost $3,000 for a bail bondsman to get out of jail , a month of work, lost many clients as I am self employed with a scrap metal recycling business, and got behind on my child support payment.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Possibly but you need a civil rights attorney or even a attorney who handles negligence cases, more so than a criminal defense attorney. You will also need to provide much more information to them.

This information does not create an attorney /client relationship and should not be use or relied upon to make any decision in your case. Only consultation with your own attorney can provide you with the advice you need for your case.


Please keep in mind that although the statute of limitations in PA is 2 years, the notice requirement to governmental agencies is 6 mths


You should contact a lawyer who represents individuals in civil rights actions against police or government law enforcement. This question is not really a criminal defense question as much as it is a civil rights question. Good Luck.


My colleagues have it right. Have a civil rights attorney review it and be mindful of the notice requirement. Good luck.



Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer