Can I sue for being falsely accused of molesting a child?

Lafayette, LA |

My wife's ex husband accused me of molesting their daughter. Multiple health professionals claimed not enough evidence. He dropped the case. Can I sue for costs of doctors and lawyers?

State laws vary significantly, especially your state. However, many states protect accusers acting in good faith. Contact a lawyer in your state to discuss your potential claim.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

I agree with Mr. Lassen, that it may not be a clear case. If the allegations are leveled within the confines of a court case, there may be immunities that apply. Also, given the awareness (rightfully so) of child abuse, there may be shield laws that protect those who report suspected abuse. Further still, if the "report" is couched in the form of an opinion, there may be additional protections for the accuser there. Generally speaking, defamation claims require a knowingly false statement "published" either orally or in written form, that causes damage. You should present all the facts to a local PI lawyer to assess your options.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.