Skip to main content

Can I sue for being exposed to hazard materials?

Chicago, IL |

I was doing some side work for someone at their office and they were doing remodeling. I believe I was exposed to hazard materials. It is hard for me to breathe and after doing some research I found that the materials they were working with are hazardous. Do I have any recourse against them?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


First you need to know what you breathed in. Second you need to have a medical doctor say that the exposure led to your current medical troubles. If you get that medical opinion then you should talk with a personal injury attorney.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


Possibly. You may even have a cause of action against the manufacturer, depending on the circumstances.

You should contact an attorney for a consultation.

Mr. Padove is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Padove strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. (219) 836 2200


First, seek a medical opinion as soon as possible and follow your doctor's advice. Next, contact an attorney to discuss the legal implications--depending on the circumstances, there may be a case, either a civil suit or workers comp. How long ago did this happen? Keep in mind the time to file a claim is limited. Feel free to call me if you want to discuss.
Chris Kennedy

Please note that any answers provided on by Christopher M. Kennedy are for informational purposes only and are not intended to constitute legal advice or establish an attorney-client relationship. Before agreeing to any client engagement, we must run a conflicts check and agree in writing to serve as your attorney. Please do not publish or email any information that discloses personal information or details about your case; if you wish to email us, please simply send your contact information and a general statement about the type of matter you would like us to review. Note that you will not be a client of our firm or Mr. Kennedy unless and until you sign a client representation agreement or you receive a written statement from us confirming that we represent you (an "engagement letter"). Thank you for your interest in the Law Office of Christopher M. Kennedy, P.C.


Very difficult question to answer; very difficult case to prove; very difficult injury. There may be pre-emption issues, etc. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


If you can get a doctor to document that the fumes you breathed in caused your illness, then I would contact a personal injury lawyer ASAP.


If you sustained injuries, your first stop should be to the doctor who can diagnose you, then you can consult a toxic torts attorney.


YOu may have a workers' compensation case and/or a third party case against the third party, depending upon the facts. You also are dependent upon a doctor who can connect this exposure to your illness.

Definitely see a lawyer ASAP before doing anything else. This is a complex scenario and you need to have help unraveling it.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer