Skip to main content

Can I sue for being accused of rape by a customer

Berwick, PA |

Installed Internet for a customer she wasn't happy and wanted out of contract accused me of going thur her underwear drawer I was never in her room then she stated I raped her which is completely false her teenage son was upstairs and she was cooking dinner

She didn't file anything with police just told my employer they are investatgating can I sue for slander or something else I just don't think it's right for people to make such false allegations with out consequences not in to getting any money more just to say its not ok to do this to someone

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Without sustaining a monetary loss, a lawsuit would cost you thousands more than you would likely recover.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Accusing you of a rape which did not occur is per se defamation. You don't file such a suit, with its attendant expenses, just to tell her its "not okay". You will ultimately need to bear all of the expenses to bring forward a claim, so you better anticipate collecting money that will pay for your costs and attorney fees etc. Some homeowners insurance or renters insurance policies cover defamation. Therefore, it is possible you would have a source of funds to go against. I suggest you consult with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible to evaluate your various options. Make sure you make notes about exactly what transpired so things are fresh in your mind when you discuss them with your potential attorney.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You should speak with a Criminal Defense lawyer if there is any further mention of this allegation. As a former prosecutor, I can tell you that investigations do not begin immediately. If the Police wish to speak with you, you should have an experienced lawyer present at your side. A week is not long enough to consider this matter over.

If you are serious about pursuing a claim for defamation, then you should write down every fact and person involved, so far. The other lawyers are correct in stating that the cost to you of pursuing legal action may be greater than any award a court would grant.

Regardless, you should speak with an attorney at a time when you can convey all of the facts.

I will serve as someone's attorney only once a written agreement is reviewed and signed. Please feel free to contact me at (610) 393-3868 if you would like more information or to inquire about my services.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer