Skip to main content

Can I sue for anonymous libel that was received through U.S. Post.

Los Angeles, CA |

I know who the anonymous letter was written from. It's the same handwriting as the person I'm accusing. I have a copy of another document that was written by the same person. Can I still sue them because the handwriting looks the same? Would that be enough proof?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You can always sue, but the question is whether or not you will be
successful. In order for you to prove the identity of the author, you will
need to get a handwriting expert; get exemplars from the defendant and then
have the expert compare the exemplars to the handwritten note and then
provide an opinion.


Abraham Mathew

Mathew & George

801 S. Grand Ave., Suite 1610

Los Angeles, CA 90017

Tel: 310 478 4349

Fax: 310 478 9580



first question: sue for what?


It's not libel if the letter was sent to you. Libel requires publication of false material to a third party.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.


It's not defamation

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer