Can I sue for an Engagement ring I purchased for my (now ex) fiancee after she broke off the relationship?

Las Vegas, NV |

We live in different countries (I'm Canadian). I traveled to see her in Las Vegas and proposed in front of her family. The whole purpose of that trip was to express my intent of marriage to her parents (which I did; they accepted) and therefore proposed to her. Less than a year later, she's broken off the relationship. As a Canadian, do I have grounds to sue for the ring (or value) back, IF she refuses to return it? I have not asked for it yet, it has only been 3 days since the breakup. I am not aware of the law on engagement rings in Nevada. Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Ms. Kunin's answer is correct. I just want to add that you have to ask her to give you the ring back first and if she refuses, then you should sue her. If the ring costs less than $7,500.00, you can start your lawsuit in small claims court. The only negative for you in this situation is that you have to sue her here in Las Vegas, which will cost you for traveling. If you prevail, you are entitled to costs and fees. The fact that you are Canadian is irrelevant.

Thank you Mr. Avramski. Now, Im from Canada. purchased the ring in Vegas. Am I still eligible to file lawsuit in Las Vegas small claims court even if I am not American?

Ignore my last comment. I missed the last part of your answer. Thank you very much! My question was well answered.

An engagement ring is a condition or promise to marriage. If the marriage does not occur, the engagement ring needs to be returned. Once married, the engagement ring is treated as a gift to the wife.

Thank you Ms. Kunin.

Israel Lynda Kunin

Israel Lynda Kunin

You are welcome.

The above two answers are correct, but there is an exception. If you gave the ring to her on her birthday or as a Christmas present or on some other holiday, it could be considered a gift and would then be her property. This is a very small exception, though, and hopefully does not apply. Good luck. I had this exact same situation before.

Thank you. Looks like I have a case here. I did not propose on a holiday or birthday. It was just a random day at Hoover Dam. Less than a year later she unexpectedly broke it off leaving me dumbfounded. Can I also sue for my travel expanses on top of the ring & fees?

Thomas D. Boley

Thomas D. Boley

Reasonable costs can be recovered, if incurred in obtaining a judgment and you are the prevailing party. Like I said, I feel for you. I had an engagement break off and we ended up in a fight over debts and such that were incurred. If the engagement ring is the only issue resulting from that relationship, count yourself lucky. Like Avramski said, you can recover in small claims court. You are going to recover the ring, not the retail price of the ring. Consider it a cheap lesson and move on. At least you didn't marry her.

Once again, I am truly thankful for your advice on this. First time I go through this and obviously you can relate. I believe I am well informed and will thus make the appropriate decisions. Cheers.