Skip to main content

Can I Sue an Indian Company in USA?

Jamaica, NY |

5 years back, I helped someone in USA in a business project feasible in India . I helped in some financial calculations and creativity of the business model. We also competed in a college business competition representing the project. For my help, the person paid me $5000 five years back, and he has proof of that.
1 Year before, he executed the project in India. The company is also Indian, and the business has nothing to do with USA. Business is not selling any product/service in USA. It's all based in India and Indian market. My question is that, can I sue the person for not issuing me any shares and not giving me a seat in board of directors of the company? I have also signed an MoU which states that I'll have no direct or indirect relationship with the company 5 years back.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I'm not sure that you can sue this company in any jurisdiction, as it is not totally clear why you are entitled to shares and a seat on the board.

It sounds like you were involved in a business 5 years ago and got paid for your work. It does not sound like you have any ownership or directorship rights in the business.

Am I missing something here?

Total Mobility Law is an international law firm that lets companies do global business with the knowledge and confidence they need to comply in any country. Our answers on this site do not constitute legal advice, nor do they establish an attorney-client relationship. The only thing that can do that is a signed Engagement Letter and Fee Agreement, which you can get by contacting us through



Thanks for the answer. But I helped him when he was developing the plan. But he paid me and made ma sign an MoU stating I'll have no relationship with the company (Which is a weak point). But is it possible to sue an Indian company if the company has nothing to do with USA? Can I sue this company in a US court?


Unfortunately it doesn't seem like you have a cause of action unless you can prove you were expressly promised shares in the company. Even then, it will be tough to sue an Indian company in an American court if there is no principal place of business or headquarters in America.


This may be an interesting case of transnational litigation. It may be. From what you say you may have some grounds to explore: (1) the 5 years old agreement you entered into with him; (2) the new agreement, if any, you have reached with him; (3) any non compete agreement you reached - or you did not - with him.
Ultimately, you (I mean the attorney you are going to select) need to find a jurisdictional link justifying a cause of action brought under US law in a US court. Something not easy here only because more facts are needed. My recommendation is to work with an international firm. Best and good luck.

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer