Can I sue a restaurant and/or employees for verbally and physically threaten me and my family?

Houston, TX |

I went to eat a well known restaurant. From the beginning the waiter was a little rude but we ignored it. When we got our checks the employee had it wrong, we called him and told him politely about it. He got mad didn't want to change it and he continuously argued about it. Then brought the correct tickets and left, we had the credits cards ready but he ignored us for about 10 more minutes. When he gave us the receipt I again politely told him to seek a different career since he is unfriendly and seems not to help people. He then got mad, spilled water on my sibling's clothes, purse and $800 smart phone. Then he got on his cell phone called his "wife" and told her to come take care of us. I immediately called the police.I also told the manager who witnessed it all and he just laugh it out.

Unless you have witnesses, this may be a full scale waste of time. He said / she said cases tend to go nowhere, and your economic (objective) damages are very limited.

Answering any question in this forum is not legal advice but is intended for educational/research purposes only; and answering does not create any type of agreement for legal services. You must understand that the answers/consequences may change based on additional facts, circumstances and/or timelines involved; and that the answers are solely to be used as general guidelines and research tools. Always speak to a local Attorney as soon as possible as legal remedies are time sensitive. IRS Circular 230 disclosure: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS and other taxing authorities, we inform you that any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties that may be imposed on any taxpayer or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. This comment is intended for the exclusive use of the person or persons to whom it is addressed. This message may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential. If the reader of this message is not (1) the intended recipient or (2) the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

Much ado about very very little. De minims. Move on.

NOTHING SAID HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE! Read this notice BEFORE you contact me! My posts on Avvo in response to the public's questions are never offered as legal advice. Do not rely on any response posted by me as applicable to your specific problem or circumstances. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions - Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my law firm. My law firm does not provide free consultations. See http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/free-consultation-the-purposes-and-utility-of-free-for-potential-clients-and-for-attorneys for further details on that issue. Please do not call or email me with a “few questions.” I give advice, make recommendations, and answer specific questions only after reviewing the documentary record and other evidence applicable to a specific client, and only in the course of or following a conference with my client in which all of the relevant information can be identified and developed. AND I give legal advice ONLY in the course of an attorney-client relationship created and defined by a written contract for services, signed by my client and by me or a member of my firm, for which payment has been made. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; professional (State or federal licensing agency) discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic disputes involving universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We accept grievances, administrative claims, arbitrations, mediations, negotiations, and other non-litigation matters pertaining to employment, hospital and facility privileges, tenure, and contractual disputes. We conduct seminars and training in employment law for employers and union advocates, and in issues of professional/occupational licensing law for criminal defense attorneys. We accept NO contingency work, and we take no matters for which CCP discovery is applicable.

Probably not, given the low amount of injury actually sustained. You would probably cause more harm to the business by posting honest reviews of your experience on restaurant review sites and help other people avoid similar treatment.

It's not illegal to be a jerk. If you suffered no actual harm (other than being irritated), then it is unlikely that you'll have any viable claim.

Your question has been answered as a courtesy. This is not paid legal advice. Nothing in this communication is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Unless expressly stated otherwise, nothing contained in this message should be construed as a digital or electronic signature, nor is it intended to reflect an intention to make an agreement by electronic means.