Skip to main content

Can I sue a person for a hit and run, and how much money should I sue for?

Jonesboro, GA |

As I was going through a green light, all of a sudden,a guy in the white van was going 40 mph and hit my friends car while I was in the passenger seat. He ran the red light, and was speeding, and then hit us at full force and the car spun around. Luckily my friend and I were both fine, and didn't suffer any serious injuries. My shoulder hurts and so does my head, and my rib cage, but nothing serious. Just bruises. However, after the impact and crash, the guy fled the scene without stopping and went 1-2 miles speeding off and then he was caught. They arrested him, and the cops told my friend and I everything. I'm sure my friend will have his car covered by insurance. However, the experience was a shock, and I think it will affect me, and I may have long term effects. Can I sue him?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Of course you can sue him. However, most cases start out as a "claim" and get settled before a lawsuit is ever filed. Lawsuits cost time and money.

That said, you start off by saying you were fine after the accident, and then you later say you aren't fine. The point is that if you are injured you have a claim. If you aren't injured, you don't. If you don't have any medical treatment for injuries sustained in the accident, it will be very difficult to make a claim.

Hire an experienced lawyer in your town to represent you.


Before you know "how much you can sue for", you need to know how much this cost you. Doctor bills? Loss of time at work? Etc. Many car accident lawyers will speak with you for free to evaluate whether they want to take on your case on contingency, which means a share of your recovery. But if you are not really injured, you don't really have much of a case without documented evidence of the long term effects on you. Keep in mind that there may be a statute of limitations within which you must file suit, after which time you may lose rights forever. Speak to an attorney soon.

This is general legal information, not intended to apply to your specific case. And I may not be licensed to practice in your particular state. Under Federal Law, I am a debt relief agent.


Certainly. As a passenger you are negligent-free, meaning you are no way at fault for the wreck. If you think you will be affected by this wreck it needs to be documented by medical professionals. Hire an attorney to explore your rights to compensation. Good luck!


As a passenger, you can get a personal injury lawyer who can recover money from the driver of the car you were in if you can't find the car that hit you.

Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyer.


You can sue the driver of the vehicle that hit you because the vehicle that hit you was negligent by running the red light.

At this point you have two options. First, you could attempt to recover from the negligent driver, from the driver of the vehicle you were riding in, or from your own automobile insurance company. If you decide to pursue any of these options, you may actually come out ahead without a lawyer because a lawyer will take a percentage of your recovery and it doesn't appear that you will incur any significant medical expenses.

However, I recommend that you consult a lawyer in making this decision. What interests me in your case is that you anticipate long term effects and that the driver fled the scene. A lawyer would be able to evaluate your future medical needs and ensure that any settlement or judgment you obtain includes this measure of damages.

Furthermore, a lawyer would want to look at the hit and run aspect of your case to determine whether punitive damages may be recoverable.


Yes, you can sue him; however, the most important issue in my opinion, upon the outset, is to make sure the injuries which you have deemed as "nothing serious" are confirmed as such by a medical professional. Especially whenever I have a client comment about a head injury or their head hurting that is something not to be taken lightly. If the headaches have any accompanying symptomolgy such as dizziness or lightedness a closed head injury may have occurred and a medical professional should be consulted immediately, not just for the head injury but for all of the areas where pain is emitting, if for nothing else than peace of mind to ensure that you are fine as you move into the future. As you know, this was not your fault.

As to filing suit, the state of Georgia allows punitive damages in instances such as you described wherein the culpabable driver fled the scene and displayed reckless conduct. This point was elaborated upon in the case of Langlois v. Wolford, 246 Ga.App. 209, 539 S.E.d 565 (2000).

DISCLAIMER: This advise is for informational purposes only and does not creat an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is only created upon the execution of a legally binding contract.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer