Skip to main content

Can I sue a mistress for mental anguish in new York?

Staten Island, NY |

Mistress is controlling husbands privacy with me. If I text him she answers for him, if I call him he won't answer his calls if she's around him. He won't see his 2 kids cause she forbids him to be around me, he can only see his kids in her presence but I won't allow him cause she has physically and mentally hurt my husband. Can I sue her for mental anguish?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


NYS no longer permits heartbalm suits. Assuming you have a divorce with child visitation orders you can motion the court to limit the children's visits to only with their father. If you have an order and it permits father visitation, you can lose custody of the children and be forced to pay child support to ex if you bar parental visitation. If you have yet to file for divorce I suggest you talk over your options with an experienced family lawyer. My partner Jim DeFelice does family law in NYC and his contact information is provided in his avvo profile and also on our firm's website.

• You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful.
(Even if you are not filing a lawsuit this information can be useful).

• New York City: A Guide to the Courts

You might find my legal guide on commercial litigation helpful.

Divorce in General and How It's Handled in New Jersey
Financial Dos and Don'ts after a Divorce (written by Attorney Gabriel Cheong)

LEGAL DISCLAIMER…………………………………………………………………..
Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer