Skip to main content

Can I sue a local government for false and defamatory information?

San Mateo, CA |

A county employee contacted me with personal questions for a third party court hearing. The county employee's investigative role should be unbiased but he/she ignored my responses and provided the Court with untrue information which favored the third party's case. The county employee's information was defamatory and violated my civil rights.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

You can certainly have a local civil rights lawyer investigate the specifics


You may but what really are your damages? The person who the information was used against has a better case.


So you say, but there are few facts here on which to base a lawsuit.


You bet you can sue.
Anyone can sue anyone else.
Whether you can win is the $64 question and that depends on lots of facts, circumstances and the law in your state.

You presented zero facts and zero circumstances of relevance so it’s not possible to assess your chances of winning a suit against an entity that enjoys immunity and presumably has lots of money to defend itself.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer