Can I sue a family member for stealing a religious sentimental property?

Flushing, NY |

At my wedding ceremony, the broken glass in a custom made pouch was stolen by a family member and she refused to give it back, can I sue her for damages? It meant a lot to me and in our community's traditions we pass it on to another person for good luck. She caused me stress and lied. I have a video of her stealing it, when asked she claimed she didn't take it. What are my options?

Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I am sorry that you find yourself in this situation. In New York, one can sue family members to recover the value of stolen property. You can retain an attorney to serve her with an official letter of demand politely requesting the property back and/or you can retain an attorney to sue her for the value of the glass and custom-made pouch.

Thank you for answering my question, i appreciate the time and info. The value of the glass and the pouch is not worth much in monetary terms , it was more of a sentiment and a meaning behind it that matters, it is my religious ceremony that I felt was hindered by her in the very end. I had my videographer go thru the footage to find out lol it's ridiculous. What steps should I take? Do I file a police report? Thank you

Edwin Drantivy

Edwin Drantivy

If you wish to press criminal charges, contact the police and/or the DA's office in your locale. If you wish to sue for money damages, contact an attorney in a confidential forum.

Thank you. What would the police do?

Edwin Drantivy

Edwin Drantivy

It is within their discretion. They may arrest the suspect and take that person in for questioning.

You can either sue for the return of the item or the value of the item in civil court. You can contact an sttorney to assist you. You can also pursue a criminal complaint to return the item by contacting the police or DA.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.