Skip to main content

Can i sue?

Memphis, TN |

My 5 yr old daughter was at daycare sitting on the floor playing when two bigger boys were wrestling, they fell on her and broke her arm. Her writing arm. She was hospitalized and followed up with ortho. Has to be in cast for 6 wks can.i sue

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


You should definitely consult with an attorney who is qualified. This may be a viable case and your daughter deserves the recovery. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


This would be a failure to supervise case. There are some other legal theories as well.
the injury is serious enough to warrant legal attention. consult with a local lawyer.You can use the AVVO find a lawyer link.


You may be able to pursue a claim. I would consult with a personal injury attorney in your area and possibly pursue a claim with the facilities insurance. Best of luck. I hope your daughter is ok.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


Yes. Although accidents can happen, the daycare had a duty to protect your daughter from an unreasonable risk of harm. Allowing two larger boys to wrestle her created this unreasonble risk of harm and they should be held accountable. Most likely they have insurance that will cover the medical payments and there should also be liability insurance that would cover the incidental expenses and any permanent injury and her physical pain and suffering. You should make sure she gets proper medical treatment and follows up with her doctor. Broken bones in children can sometimes cause complications later down the road, but hopefully this will not be the case with your daughter.

Law is state-specific and laws may vary from state to state. You should consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice. This answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


Sure. But you may not be able to recover. This is very tricky and a local injury will need to be contacted



The issue is whether the daycare attendant acted reasonable under the circumstances. For instance, if the daycare attendant was not present when the boys broke your daughter's arm, the attendant could be negligent for failure to supervise the boys. If the daycare attendant was present and the boys had a history of wrestling or horseplaying, the daycare attendant could be negligent for choosing to not separate the boys knowing it was forseeable the boys would wrestle or horseply and put other kids like your daugher at risk.
The daycare will most likely have policies and procedures that the attendants must follow. If the attendant was not following a daycare policy or procedure that could have prevented your daughter's injury, that is a good indication that the attendant may have been negligent. Also, if the daycare has a policy or procedure that it did not enforce or inform the attendant of, the daycare may be negligent for failing to follow or enforce it's policy, or train it's attendants.
You most likely have a case. Contact a personal injury attorney in Memphis. Make sure the attorney you hire is a Board Certified Civil Trial Specialist. This certification will assure you of an attorney who has experience handling this or a similar type case.

This response is given solely as a general response to the question and does not create an attorney / client relationship between the questioner and responder.


I have handled many cases involving injuries at daycare centers and would like an opportunity to review your case in greater detail. It sounds like a case to me. The main problem I ofter run into is insurance coverage-- the state of Tennessee requires registered daycare providers to carry insurance, but unfortunately many in Memphis do not. I wish your daughter well and am happy to help.


As some of the lawyers have mentioned, you can sue. The bigger question is can you recover. You left your child in the custody and control of a the day care. They would be acting in your place. This is called in loco parentis. They would have a duty to protect and take care of your child in your absence. The issue then becomes was the day care negligent- in other words did they do something or fail to do something a reasonable parent or caregiver should have done. If so they could be liable.
Beyond this, I would make sure to turn a claim into the daycare. If they have insurance they may want to discuss settlement. Also, they may have medpay coverage - which would reimburse for medical bills.
You should consult an attorney. My daugter practices in Memphis and I can give you her information. There are plenty of lawyers that I am sure would be willing to give you some advise and help.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer