Skip to main content

Can I subpoena money shipment/transfer records (est.apx. 80-100K) my spouse has made with Western Union,Moneygram, etc

Coos Bay, OR |

I am headed into discovery in a contested divorce. I have a lawyer. I would appreciate an answer without referring me back to my lawyer.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


yes, if it is relevant to your marital estate and during the time of or surrounding the time of your marriage.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


Yes, IF it is relevant to the divorce action. HOWEVER, you should not even try to do this behind your attorney's back. First of all, you won't know how to do it AND a subpoena duces tecum will be taken more seriously if signed by an attorney.



Thank you all for your answers. This is to all and no one in particular. I have a very competent lawyer who I have worked with in the past. A busy lawyer generally has many cases/clients active at the same time.He is also human and not immune to personal,mental,emotional,health,knowledge problems/deficits etc. My experience in litigation clearly indicates a client should be actively involved with his case if he wants optimum results. I am not going behind my attorneys back by asking a legal question any more than one would be by asking a medical opinion from another doctor. The client (me in this case) is paying hefty legal fees & should not be hampered by exclusivity/one mindedness while seeking knowledge/understanding. I would not attempt to subpoena without my lawyer. Any assumption that anyone knows everything is invalid.No lawyer achieves optimum results for every client. I am simply gathering facts in an effort to bring an equitable & just resolution to this case. A client who drops everything in his lawyers lap and expects good results will very likely be disappointed. Sometimes even the best lawyers need a bit of prodding.Often, a client helps his own case & sometimes hurts his case. Thanks again to all.


Why would you hire a lawyer and then bypass them to seek advice on the internet? This makes your lawyer's job harder, and the advice you get here is bound to be less reliable than information coming from your own lawyer, who has all the facts of the case.

In answer to the question, you, as a private party, can't subpoena anything. If you're representing yourself, you can ask the court clerk to issue a subpoena in your case. You certainly have the right to request information about your wife's finances and use of funds. In practice, you will probably find it a lot easier to get the information from your wife - she's legally obligated to provide you with complete and accurate statements of her bank accounts and assets - than to try to get information from these companies. They will not take you seriously, and will resist your attempts to compel information.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:


Yes you can if it is relevant. I agree that you should be talking to your attorney about this. If your attorney sends the subpoena, my opinion is that subpeonaing the companies could be eaiser (and possibly cheaper) than getting documents from a spouse who is being difficult with discovery.

My response(s) to the question(s) on this website do not create an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is not created until a Fee Agreement has been signed. In addition, my suggestions are based on very limited information provided by the Asker and are given based on my experiences and general circumstances. My suggestions may not ultimately be applicable to the Asker's situation because of the limited amount of information provided. No suggestion is guaranteed to be sucessful. Case specifics should not be shared online. You should seek specific legal advice in a private setting. Shannon L. Hall, Attorney at Law (Licensed in Oregon) 245 East 4th Avenue, Eugene, OR 97401 Phone: 541-434-2411, Email: