Skip to main content

Can I still work after my Employment Authorization has expired that was originally obtained through a Differed App. In 2011 ?

Hollywood, FL |

I was granted differed action in 2011. My current employment authorization expires in a few weeks. I applied to renew it back on November 2012 and application is still pending. Can I continue working after my current one expires?

If so, What section of the law says this? so that i can show it to my current employer.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


No ... once it expires you are no longer authorized to work ... until the new one arrives.

You may need to take a short leave of absence if it doesn't arrive.

For the most part CIS is pretty good about printing/mailing them 90-100 days from the date you 'properly' filed (ie: no RFEs).

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Working with an expired EAD is unauthorized work.


No. You can only work while having a valid EAD in your possession.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I am in total agreement with my colleagues. No work authorization, no work.