Skip to main content

Can I still press charges on someone who molested/fondled me 2-3 years ago?

London, KY |

I was molested 2-3 years ago, then I didnt think anything of it now I want my justice and what he deserves, he not only done it to me but to 3 others. He touched me and them inplaces he shouldnt have.

+ Read More

Filed under: Child abuse
Attorney answers 1


Individuals can't really press charges but you can and should report these crimes to the police. The police will investigate and then the County Attorney will decide whether to file a criminal complaint or seek an indictment against the perpetrator.

If you are now an adult, you could also seek out an attorney who handles civil cases for adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse to explore whether there are still any possibilities for pursuing a civil action against the perpetrator. Be sure also to find yourself a counselor or advisor who can help you process the emotional aspects of having been sexually abused.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your area who regularly practices in the subject matter which your question is about. You should develop an attorney client relationship with the lawyer of your choice so that your communications will be subject to the attorney client privilege and have the other benefits of a professional relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific matter as partially described in the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer