Skip to main content

Can i still get my divorce without my husband signing. I havent had contact over 12yrs. has no clue where he is or his family

Dallas, TX |

i already went online and need to take it the divorce paper to the couts to file but i havent seen my husband over 12yrs and have no contact information of his whereabout or his family

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It is possible to use substituted service after you've made a good faith attempt to locate him. The procedures are in the rules of Civil Procedure. You may want to use an attorney so you do this correctly

I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.


The Court (and Texas law) requires you to make a good faith effort to find him. After you can prove that, the Court may allow service by an alternative method, such as publication or through a family member. Recently, an appellate decision showed disfavor on the publication avenue, so it will be interesting to see how that would work now. Occasionally, you can pay a private party to find someone for a couple hundred dollars, and they can come up with a list of possible hits.

It is certainly possible to get the divorce completed, it will just take some time and effort.

This answer is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice nor forming the attorney client relationship. This attorney is licensed in Texas.