Can i still attend a school tradition while on homebound?

Milford, PA |

Im 17 years old and I got a DUI and am now on homebound atleast until my courtdates. I know other people who have had my probation officer and he has let them have some freedoms here and there... I have a school tradition scavenger hunt for upper classmen next week and it goes from 5pm til fairly late... is there any chance he would let me go and maybe give me an early curfew? PLEASE ANSWER thank you.

also if you have any ideas on what my sentencing will be that would be great... my charges are misdermeaner dui, dui count 2, careless driving, driving on roadways laned for traffic, minor prohibited from operating with any alcohol in system, driving past curfew, transpertation of alcohol beverage... and my blood alcohol level was .143 can you tell me what you think my sentences will be? thanks for your help!

Before you start worrying about a scavenger hunt, I STRONGLY advise you to retain an attorney to handle your pending charges. Given that you're well short of the legal drinking age, a sentencing court is likely to impose a heavy rehabilitation regimen. A local, knowledgeable attorney will be able to advise you on how to take pro-active steps in this respect.

As far as extracurricular activities go, is this scavenger hunt organized by the school you attend? Is there some sort of supervision? Does the event itself have a positive or negative image in the community? Is alcohol likely to be part of the festivities? Put simply, the more wholesome the event is, the more likely it is that you will be allowed to participate.

Please, please tell me that you've informed your parents of your arrest. The only reason I bring it up is because it sounds like you don't have an attorney, and for most people in your situation, that's a result of concealing their mistake because they don't want to disappoint their parents.

Thank you for your help, and also my charges are misdermeaner dui, dui count 2, careless driving, driving on roadways laned for traffic, minor prohibited from operating with any alcohol in system, driving past curfew, transpertation of alcohol beverage... and my blood alcohol level was .143 can you tell me what you think my sentences will be? thanks for your help!

also i do have an attorney and my parents know. i meet with the attorney next month

Kenneth Joshua McCauley

Kenneth Joshua McCauley

It would be poor form for me to offer advice or information to someone in your position who already has an attorney (this is a professional courtesy from me to them, not a rejection of your inquiry). If this person refuses to answer your questions, or acts like your questions are a waste of their time, you're not receiving quality representation. Good luck.

thanks for the luck and they just dont want to talk til i see them in june... but im just wondering what your opinion is on what you think id be getting i would greatly appreciate it im a mess right now and would like a professional opinion if you dont mind doing so... just ball park it for me please haha im dyin over here never driving drunk again.

Kenneth Joshua McCauley

Kenneth Joshua McCauley

I'm glad to hear that you're not going to drive drunk again. A lot of people in your position make that promise, and then find occasion to break it later on. I can tell you're very anxious, so let me "ballpark" what a person in your situation in NEW YORK might expect. (1) Prepare to lose/have you driving privileges restricted for an extended period of time. This means EITHER having your license suspended or revoked for a set period of time OR obtaining a conditional license upon successful completion of the Drunk Driver Program (DDP). (2) You should not expect to receive any jail time. (3) In NY, you would be eligible for "youthful offender" status (age 16-19), which means your record could be sealed upon successfully completing any conditions imposed by the Court. (4) In NY, the various charges brought against you would "merge," meaning that you would only be convicted of one count of DWI (they charged you with two just in case the breathalyzer results are tossed on a procedural issue - they could still charge you with what's called "common-law DWI." Drunk Driving was against the law long before the breathalyzer was invented. People would be convicted based on someone's testimony about how they appeared to be intoxicated). Essentially, if you're convicted of one of the DWI charges, the others will be deemed satisfied and no additional punishment should be imposed. PLEASE - when you do talk to your attorney, don't tell him/her "well, I talked to an attorney on avvo and he told me something different." It will drive them crazy and make me a bad colleague. I AM NOT LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW IN PENNSYLVANIA!

Thank you very much i appreciate everything very much, and yea i wont tell her anything about it no worries, but one last thing do you have an idea on how long i may be on probation for? thanks alot!

These are serious offenses. You need an attorney for the underlying offenses. You will not be able to drive for a long time.

As to your question, the chances of you going on this "scavenger hunt" is really up to the p.o. The underlying offense should be your major concern.

Michael L. Doyle
(215) 900-5565

It may be possible but you need to discuss it with, and obtain permission from your probation officer. He or she pretty much has the final say.