Skip to main content

Can i still apply for a green card with an expired passport?

Baltimore, MD |

I was in the final phase of checking all documents that i needed to submit to the USCIS, while i was going through my documents i realized that my passport expiry date (07/01/2013) has passed. My visitor visa , which is in my expired passport is still valid. Does this mean i need to renew my passport before i can proceed with my green card application? Please shed some light on this matter, your response is kindly needed.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You are not required to have a still valid passport to be able to obtain green card status. All is required is that you prove prior lawful admission (doesn't matter how long ago) AND that you otherwise qualify to file for a green card, either through marriage to a USC, employment or asylum grant.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.



Thanks for your response, it was greatly appreciated!!


Yes, but you should renew your passport.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Yes, you can still proceed with your green card application. However, you should attempt to have your passport renewed asap.

Husna Alikhan, Esq., TEL: 702-374-6619. Nothing in this response to your posting on AVVO is intended or should be considered as legal advice to your specific situation. Our posting is intended to provide general information of interest to the public. Facts relevant to your situation and not disclosed in your posting may affect your specific legal rights and remedies.