Skip to main content

Can I stay in the US after graduation. I have applied for OPT but my 60 day grace period is about to end

College Station, TX |

I graduated in Dec 2012 and had applied for OPT on Nov 2012. Can I stay in the US legally after my grace period while my OPT is being processed

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Talk to your international student advisor and have them make the proper entries in the SEVIS system and also update your I-20 with the OPT being in process and show them the receipt from USCIS for the pending OPT application.


Mr. Calehr is correct .. talk to your foreign student adviser ... things should be OK with his/her support.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I, too, agree.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer