Skip to main content

Can I start a slander/libel lawsuit against my ex husband for making false defamatory statements about me

Greenville, SC |

My ex-husband and his wife have been making false, defamatory statements about me for quite some time. Please note that I'm not talking about comments to their friends behind closed doors, I'm talking about waiting in the dark of night at people's homes with the sole prpose of lying to them about me when they arrive home. I have many witnesses to this and need it to stop. Can I file a slaner or libel suit against them and if so, what can I expect? Do I need an attorney or can I do this on my own?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you have witnesses who will testify that the your ex-husband and his wife said something about you that was not false and did not constitute an "opinion" and these statements would tend to damage your reputation in the community, you may have grounds to file a civil lawsuit for slander. You would generally need to hire an attorney to file the lawsuit, but you could represent yourself (known as "pro se"). I strongly recommend that you retain an attorney. You should contact the state bar association to see about an 800 number to find lawyers with expertise in the area of defamation/slander torts.

The difficulty you will find is that many witnesses will be reluctant to get involved. And, many lawyers will not take these types of claims on a contingency fee basis.

Here are some links to provide you with additional information:

I wish you the best of luck in resolving this situation.


Slander is an untruthful spoken statement about a person that harms the person's reputation or standing in the community. As but one example, a damaging untruthful spoken statement that you are a criminal might be defamation "per se". Contact a local lawyer - many may give you a free consultation for an hour - to discuss your specifics. Far too many variables exist in the short post you wrote for any further observation by me.

Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship and all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer