Skip to main content

Can I start a lawsuit based only on emotional and mental suffering after an accident?

Woodland Hills, CA |

I was stopped at a traffic light when a Metro city bus made an illegal turn and rare ended me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


You should contact a local attorney to review all the damage issues. Go to the "find a lawyer" tab to find an attorney in your community.


The only way to know if you have enough in the way of damages is to have a free consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer.


Yes you can, but unfortunately it may be difficult for you to find an attorney to take on the case if that is all you suffered. Claims against government agencies involve jumping through alot of hoops and the effort might not be worth it for the lawyer. That said, you should make sure you monitor your medical condition and see a doctor if you need it.

Note that you must file a notice of claim against government entities within six months, so talk to an attorney quickly if you feel you want to press a claim.


Retain one of the lawyers above for representation.


How long ago was the accident and did you receive any medical attention? You may want to contact a car accident attorney to represent you. I have represented clients in numerous bus accident cases and have the results to prove it. Best of luck to you.


Yes. However, such a claim usually needs the manifestation of physical symptoms to have a chance at success. Make sure you file your Government claim form with 6 months of the accident which you can obtain through the bus company. You will probably be best off in small claims court for this type of claim.

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer