Skip to main content

Can I sponsor my soon to be husband??

New Orleans, LA |

So my boyfriend and I want to get married we been dating for over a year now..he is from Nigeria and came on a student visa.. I just got a job that I will be making good money but I just got the job so how will I be able to show proof showing that I am working and I am making the amount to sponsor him? And if I don't get approve to sponsor him what else could I do? And is there a time limit on getting a sponsor after being married?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you are not able to be the sole sponsor, find a joint sponsor.

Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


If you do not meet the federal income requirements to be the sole sponsor, you will need to secure a joint sponsor as well. Read the instructions on the I-864 form about joint sponsorship. You should consult with a family based immigration attorney to help you with the process.

The information provided is intended for informational purposes only and should not substitute for the advice and counsel of an attorney. This information does not constitute legal advice. We ask that you consult with a lawyer, as your facts are unique and because each situation requires analysis from many different perspectives. We cannot be responsible if you rely on information based on this website without the consultation of an attorney.


If your income does not meet the requirements, you will have to find a co-sponsor to do a joint affidavit. You will still have to do your affidavit (I-864) regardless of the low income you have if this is the case.

Abraham B. Cardenas, Esquire Cardenas Law Firm, P.C. Florida Office Address: Cardenas Law Firm, LLC 8150 SW 8th Street, Suite 122 Miami, Florida 33144 (786) 347-1605 Pennsylvania Office Address: Cardenas Law Firm, P.C. 18 S George Street, Suite 615 York, PA 17401 (717) 854-6400 Office Phone (866) 353-5570 Fax Number (English) (Spanish) The posting on this web site for viewing by potential clients or others interested in learning about legal topics does not create an attorney-client relationship. The fact that an attorney may informally answer general E-Mail questions does not create an attorney-client relationship. Attorney Abraham B. Cardenas is licensed to practice only in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and practices immigration law throughout the United States. This web post is for informational purposes only. An attorney-client relationship is formed only after the potential client meets with an attorney AND has paid the appropriate retainer fee.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer