Skip to main content

Can I sign Bankruptcy on just my trucking business and have it not affect my personal credit rating.

Wichita, KS |

I was leased to a company that took more money than I made seriously and they are saying I still owe them almost 2000.00 more, they also kept my last paycheck. I own my own truck and have had health issues, since purchasing it in August of 12, anyhow I am at the end of money for truck payments and will probably have to voluntarily surrender it.I have good credit now but. I am not incorperated.
Thanks Richard

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Your business, as a dba, is inseparable from your personal finances. Your bankruptcy would be filed in your own name with the dba listed as an alias. Before any more time passes, your needs will be best met by consulting with an experienced bankruptcy attorney. The need to surrender very expensive collateral and declining health are both very relevant issues. If you do not know a capable bankruptcy lawyer, use the attorney-finder at

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.


Nope! You must file on ALL your debt, regardless whether it was incurred operating a business. ALSO, all you personal & real property are considered in whether or not you have "unprotected" assets. Talk with an experienced bankruptcy attorney. Don't try to "do it cheap." Good luck.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.


You would definitely be filing a personal bankruptcy, which will list and address all debts, both personal and business. Your business was not separate from you, and corporations do not receive a discharge in bankruptcy in any case.