Skip to main content

Can I run away at the age of 17 in Alaska under the circumstances I am in?

Fairbanks, AK |

I am a 17 year old girl living in alaska. I got taken out of my home almost two years ago for sexual, physical and mental abuse from my dad and mom. I got placed in my grandmothers house. I am still under OCS's custody, an I have been ever since all of this started. I have heard that there is no run away law in alaska, but I have not been able to find any information on whether that is true or not. I have wanted to run away for a long time now, but I wasn't sure what the legal problems would be. Are there any loop holes where I could leave the house I am staying at and live on my own?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Sure you can runaway. But what you heard is wrong. You'll be picked up and remain subject to the jurisdiction of the court. Just wait until you're 18 and walk away. You can talk to an attorney on what it takes to become emancipated in Alaska. Like most states, you'd probably have to have a job and be able to take care of your financial needs. And you'd have to deal with OCS first.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer