Skip to main content

Can i reschedule a court date or ask to not go to court?

San Jose, CA |

im going out of the country in about 2 weeks, so i want to know if i can reschedule a court day, or even ask to be ommited from going to court for shoplifting. my tottal was 236.06 but they counted that as 250 dollars. please help =(

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Court cases get continued all the time. Call the clerk, have your case number ready, and ask the clerk how you can continue the hearing as you will be out of the country.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.


Sometimes the court clerk is able to reschedule the matter with a simple telephone call and/or a letter. Other times the court will not reschedule a matter without a specific motion. Oftentimes the motion can be heard ex parte or on a shortened basis.

Unless you obtain a continuation of the court appearance you may still be required to appear in court. Missing a court appearance can have dire consequences including sanctions and, in some instances, a warrant being issued for your arrest.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Phillip J. Griego & Associates. The use of the Internet or this forum for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be posted in this forum and Phillip J. Griego & Associates cannot guarantee the confidentiality of anything posted to this forum. You are advised to speak with a counsel knowledgeable about your particular matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer