Skip to main content

Can I request a divorce hearing before a judge?

Upper Marlboro, MD |

State of MD- I filed for divorce in January and it's being contested in every way possible by my bitter ex. I do not want to answer the probing interrogatories sent to me by the Defendants' lawyer. I cannot afford to retain my own attorney but doing this pro se' is very hard. I'm afraid of having to pay an attorney to help me, losing the case and then having to also pay the Defendant's attorney fees. I just want out! Is there a way to appeal to the judge to request a hearing and bypass all these other document requests? We have no real property or anything to fight over- she just won't let this failed marriage go!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

If you do not properly respond to the interrogatories and other discovery requests, you can be hurt bad in a motion to compel in which your wife can ask for attorney's fees because of putting her to the added attorney's fees of doing the motion to compel. So you must respond to all discovery, and generally the other spouse is entitled to most, if not all of the financial information sought. There are ways to obtain free or low cost legal services. Go to your local county Circuit Court and ask if they can tell you about any pro bono legal organizations who can help you. Or you could pay an attorney for a consultation once in a while just to guide you and keep you doing what is proper so that you do not make any major, major mistakes in your case.

This answer is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY and does NOT constitute Legal Advice and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship because you have not provided me with a COMPLETE set of the FACTS, and therefore my answer cannot address your specific situation. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California. A Consultation, Retainer and a fully signed and dated Legal Services Agreement (a contract) will be required if you would like to obtain my representation. Office: (410) 381-1656. David Mahood, Esq.


No, you have to answer them. Another way to try to get an attorney is asking a local church, synagogue, or other place of worship if they have a member who can volunteer some time. Also support groups or local law schools may have legal clinics, and for the law schools possibly a student interning with an experienced family law attorney.

Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and offers free consultations. The response provided in this forum is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon without further consultation with a legal professional after all relevant facts are disclosed and considered. DANIEL S. WILLIAMS, ESQ. LAW OFFICES OF DANIEL S. WILLIAMS 500 LIGHTHOUSE AVENUE, STE. A MONTEREY, CA 93940 (831) 233-3558 -- OFFICE (831) 233-3560 -- FAX


Missouri has an option of limited representation. What that means is that people who either don't want to have an attorney do the entire case for them - or can't afford to have an attorney participate in all aspects of the case - can limit what the attorney does in their representation.
I don't know the rules for Maryland and whether they have that as an option (as I only practice in Missouri), but you should be able to call the bar association in your area and ask.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer