Skip to main content

Can I reopen or restart a business after partnership ends or one wants to close the business.

Kennesaw, GA |

My partner wants to close business because they feel I didn't manage it well. The business was was my idea, my business name, all my work. They feel like I mismanaged and asked to close the business, but wants to keep control the corporation so they can take it over and run the business when they see fit. he refuses to let me out of the "partnership" because of the business debt and said I cannot have the name back. Since he won't invest anything else, and we have nothing to keep the business running we closed the business location. I'd like to take my idea and restart it. Do I have to change the name? We never discussed if a partner wants out. No contract or non-compete signed or discussed. I'm the corp organizer and filer and President.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Who gets what will depend on: 1) ownership of the shares of the corporation; 2) the articles of incorporation and bylaws of the corporation; and 3) any additional side agreements you have with investors.

From your question, it sounds like your investors have a controlling stake in your business. If so, your investors should be able to control the disposition of corporate assets, including your trade name.

Without an agreement with your investors, starting a new business with the same name is a dangerous proposition.

You need a lawyer to review all of these documents and give you guidance on your options.

Good luck!



thats the thing. We didn't do any of the documents. The ownership shares verbally were 50/50. No bylaws, no side agreements. Just a verbal 50/50. Its the only agreement we had. There isn't anything left in the store probably worth $300. He only is the guarantee on business cards, which accounts for the business debt. I was just going to change one word in the name Since the lease is still in my name along with all store utilities and such. , but reading your reply, I think I may need to just come up with something new and try to spread the word.


It sounds like an attorney would be able to guide you through the process of starting a new company, and you would likely be better off changing the name.

The above answer is for general information purposes and is offered as a service to the public. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, reviews or other communications, including the above post, should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation or relied upon as a substitute for engaging legal counsel, nor does it constitute advertising or a solicitation. Viewing the general information here, including your receipt or transmission of information hereof does not alone create or constitute an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality. If this question or answer pertains to bankruptcy, please be advised that we are a federal debt relief agency. One of our areas of practice is to help people file for bankruptcy relief and protection under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.


That is a very complex question and will depend on many factors, most of which you did not post. You should have a good business attorney review the entire situation and advise you. Unless there is a lot of money at stake, most likely the best course of action is to negotiate an amicable separation with your partners.


You should promptly seek competent legal advice from a Georgia business attorney who is well-versed in business breakup issues such as this, and who understands how these issues can play out in court. Because you don't have a written partnership agreement, many of these issues can be tricky. As there are business debts that you may be held personally liable for, paying for qualified legal advice would be a wise investment at this point. Good luck.

The transmission of an electronic message between an individual and attorney in a public website alone does not create an attorney-client relationship absent a specific engagement agreement between the parties. By replying to a legal question or inquiry posted on a public website, the responding attorney is neither providing specific legal advice nor entering into an attorney-client relationship with the recipient. A person or entity may not reasonably act or rely upon information contained in such a response without a personal consultation with and engagement by the attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer