Skip to main content

Can I renew my green card with a felony?

Sacramento, CA |

I've been in the US since 1992 coming in as a child with my parents, I am now 25 years old and was convicted on a felony acct in 2008. While being incarcerated, they tried deporting but for some reason it didn't go through. My green card is expiring this year, will I be able to renew my green card.

Crimes committed was for attempted murder. I don't now if the removal process was terminated but I do know that they tried, and my home land where I came from wouldn't take me because there wasn't enough evidence that I was actually born there. Where I came from there isn't any birth certificate or anything documenting where and when I was born. So the two countries refused to take me back and now I'm up for renewal and am unsure if I can renew.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Will depend on the actual felony crime you were convicted of. Should not attempt doing that by yourself.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Were the removal (deportation) proceedings terminated? Additional information is needed to answer your question. If you were not placed in removal proceedings, there is a possibility that removal proceedings could be initiated upon applying to renew your Green Card. You should consult with an experienced Immigration Attorney.


The answer will depend the criminal conviction. It would also be important to see if you are potentially a United States citizen. You would be best advised to consult an experienced immigration attorney.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.


This is a difficult issue and would definitely require the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney. Your criminal history has to be reviewed against current laws to see if you have a chance to renew your green or possibly apply for naturalization (Citizenship). It would help your case if showed you had "equities" such as good works you have done for the community and having a good job, family...


Need more information to give a really good answer. This is not something I would do on your own, it's one of the complicated analysis of immigration law. I'd get a consultation with an attorney that knows criminal and immigration law.

Law Office of Daniel M. Wigon This should not be taken as legal advice. Consult with a local attorney before making a decision that could adversely affect your rights.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer