Skip to main content

Can I renew my driver's license without a valid I-20?

Columbus, OH |

I came to the US with a F1 Visa in 2008 and have started working for this Import and Export company this February, now the company is filing H1 for me however we haven’t received any immigration reply yet, so there is nothing from the INS can prove my valid statues.
As bad as it is, my driver's license needs renewal due next month.
My concern of right now is: without the valid I-20 will I be able to renew my license? By the way, I saw on the SOS website that they do say they need a valid passport but neither of Visa nor I-20.
Please let me know what to expect or to do. Thank you very much.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If you have an unexpired employment authorization card with six months left, then this may help. In addition, if you are eligible for a STEM extension of your employment card, depending upon your course of study, then you should contact your University's International Student Official (ISO) to see whether the I-20 may be amended, if necessary.

Each State Motor Vehicle Office is supposed to have an office to confirm whether a student is in lawful status. That is, they have access to the SAVE system. If you cannot get proper answers from your ISO, then I recommend that you discuss this matter with the attorney who is assisting you with the H1-b, if any. If not, then schedule an appointment with an experienced immigration attorney, who understands these issues. Perhaps, the attorney can make contact with the Department of Motor Vehicles, where you are having challenges.

The above is general information and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer