Can I refuse to pay the tuition bill if the school is not acting fairly?

San Francisco, CA |

I just withdrew from a course in a private university. It's an 8-week course and I withdrew in the 2nd day of week 5 after taking 4 classes. I didn't know that if I submit the withdraw request after the week 4, I need to pay the full tuition instead of prorated tuition. That policy was never communicated to me by any school staff in any means before. And I specifically asked my school advisor if I could get a refund if I withdraw in the middle of the semester and he confirmed yes without mentioning the 4 week limitation (maybe he doesn't know as well).

I just don't think the school is justified to charge me the whole tuition because I was misled by my school advisor. Can I refuse to pay the bill unless the amount is adjusted because the total tuition is as high as $2,400?

Filed under: Credit Education law

You have to read the contract you signed, as the student relationship with a private school is largely governed by that. The withdrawal policy you state is not uncommon. They will likely sue your for breach of contract if you do not pay. If the paperwork you signed states this withdrawal policy, they will likely win. You can use the misleading counselor as a defense, but it may not be a dispositive one. It depends who the court believes.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

Hi Golnar, Thank you so much for your reply. I later found out the withdraw policy is stated in the registration form that I signed. But it's very misleading. It says that students can withdraw from the course before the LAST class and get refund on a pro rata basis. It did have an additional note saying refer to the catalog for the tuition refund policy. But I have no idea what that catalog it's talking about. Nobody has provided that for me. And because I believe what my advisor told me so much that I didn't take a closer look at the withdraw policy. Can I accuse them of misleading the students in the withdraw policy by hiding the important 4-week limitation?

Golnar Sargeant

Golnar Sargeant

The problem with that is you can not prove what this counselor actually told you, and you still do not know what the catalog says. You can make the arguments about the misleading, but it's not going to be dispositive.

Thanks Golnar! What will be the consequence if I sue the school and lose?

Golnar Sargeant

Golnar Sargeant

No one can predict all consequences. If the judge does not think you had grounds then it's likely the school will win their breach of contract claim against you. The judge may award them court fees. It is VERY important that you check all the paperwork and literature to make sure there is no attorney's fees clause. If there is, the losing party has to pay the winner's attorneys' fees. You should also check to see if there is a clause mandating arbitration/mediation.

I see. I will think more about it. Thank you so much for your help. You are so kind!:)

Be careful here. The school can sue you for failure to pay per your contractual agreement. Moreover, the school can (and most will) make a report to the credit agencies and, if any subsequent school inquires about you, the school will report that you owe unpaid tuition and will withhold any transcripts. The private school communications network is very well maintained and proactive.

Failure to pay after the withdrawal date is very common but can be a problem for years to come -- wholly out of proportion to the amount in dispute. If you are on an educational path, chart your course carefully and consider negotiating a full settlement with the school so that this matter does not pop up to hurt you in future educational opportunities.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.