Skip to main content

Can i refuse to let my daughter's father sign her birth certificate?

Danvers, MA |

When my ex and I found out I was pregnant, I did nothing but try and work things out with him. He stopped communicating with me when I was 3 months pregnant and refused to get an abortion. He was not there through the pregnancy, and wasn't there for the birth. He's been on and off since then, My daughter is now 15 months old, and has a stable home with me and my father. He recently decided he wants to sign her birth certificate, and try and get custody of her. Can I refuse him the right to sign her birth certificate?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The real issue presented is whether or not he can get custody. He can bring an action to determine that he is the father, will have to pay child support, and may seek visitation. Unless it is determined that it will be in the child's best interest to not see the father, then it may be difficult to prevent visitation. You should consider speaking to an attorney about the specifics of your matter.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided in response to a "hypothetical" question and provided for general, informational purposes and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The information presented is not legal advice and may change based additional information and research. It is recommended that you speak to an attorney to discuss your specific legal issues.


In the long run? no. you can merely delay it.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer