I was in a multiple car accident in which I was 0% at fault. Two cars collided and one of them hit me. One car was uninsured and the other car was underinsured. I have UM and UIM on my own policy. There were multiple injured parties and the 5 bodily injury damage claims will exceed the 15/30 limits on the underinsured's policy. My insurer says that it will pick up 60% of my injuries under my UM provisions because the uninsured driver was adjudged 60% liable.My insurer advised me that I myself, would have to go after the underinsured carrier for the remaining 40%. Shouldn't my UIM policy cover the other 40% if my damages exceed what is left under the tortfeasor's underinsured policy after all injured parties are paid? In other words can I recover UM and UIM from my policy?
Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.